Tuesday, November 19, 2013

August stuff - part 1

Most of the pictures for this post were taken on my phone since that is the most convenient picture-taking source I have.  Our August was super busy...probably our busiest month of the year since I've been back to work, kids being in school and activities, and so forth.  Here is my plethora of randomness:

We have set aside a box for each of the girls to store their school papers in for the year.  It's an easy way to teach them to put it away and not just toss it right when they bring it home.  They love to look through all of their accomplishments for the year...often.  This was the final time for last year's work.  They reminisced and we said goodbye to most of it.  We kept a few favorites for the future and preciously filed them away.






















Grampa Craig came for a visit.  He wanted to attend his niece's wedding and was able to spend the rest of the weekend with us.  So we took him to the gateway children's museum and had dinner afterwards at Rubio's.  It's one of our new favorite places to eat.




























2 days before my 30th birthday we visited Gramma Judy and spent the day with my stepbrother, Cade, and his family.  We spent the day on the lake and the beach.
Brinley, Leslie, and Keira had a turn on the tube.















Keira and Brigham took turns on the ski board.  Check out that smile!  Oh ya. And that face on the fall...

























Lexi was content hanging out on the boat.  Can't say the same for having her picture taken.





















Back at the house - Where did Cooper go?  Sportin' his camo from Gramma.
























An unfortunate turn of events made starting back into school routine a bit of a challenge...to say the least.  I wish I could say I got a pedicure for my birthday.  Instead, a sprained ankle.  Jealous anyone?  What is coincidentally funny is the preschool does a theme for the faculty each year.  This year was all about the military.  So we dressed up for our beginning of year meetings in camo gear to create unity and be divided into company's.  I was considered a "wounded" soldier since I was on crutches for the next 5 days. 
I quickly found myself in need of more help than I ever imagined.  Even more so than when I had any of my babies!  Here's why:
  • Yes with a brand new baby you need help because you are exhausted or any number of reasons, but for me, at least I could walk!  I could not walk on 2 feet!  I HAD to use my crutches which occupied my arms and hands as well.  Cooper was under 1 and walking for the most part, but he wanted and needed to be held often.  He needed a bottle several times a day.  He needed to be put in his crib for naptime.  How did I do this?  I hopped around a lot - something I don't think Cooper appreciated much.
  • I had to prep my classroom.  Many of the teachers helped where they could, but I still had to hobble around with arms and hands out of commission.  It seemed to make the job twice as hard and take twice as long.
  • Not only did I have to accept help, but I found I needed to ask for it also.  A couple of awesome friends forced me to accept dinner.  Keira and Lexi helped where they could and were very good sports about it.  It isn't often I feel that I need help and get to the point of asking for it, but this was an exception.  I have to remind myself sometimes that I need to give others an opportunity to serve and I have to be that opportunity.  A lesson that I'm still learning.
Again, this is 2 days before my birthday.  My 30th birthday!!  I mean, it's a big deal right?  Wrong.  I spent the morning at work and when I got home, I had to ice my foot which did allow me to kick back and hang with my kiddos - the only positive thing about this "inconvenience".  I treated us to dinner since Rick had to work and I was able to drive as long as I was careful with my foot.  

Lucky for me, my husband is amazing and made up for it the following weekend.  I was able to limp around since the swelling had gone down so we took the whole family to the mall and did a little bit of shopping.  Later that afternoon, I expected a babysitter to arrive (since that is what Rick told me) when a close friend showed up.  I was completely confused.  It turns out Rick had arranged for me and a few friends to get pedicures and meet up with the hubby's afterwards for dinner at Tepanyaki (hibachi & sushi).  What a sweet guy right?  It was nice to spend time with friends I hardly see and have delicious food on top of it.  The rest of the evening was open so I made the decision (Yay for me!) to have game night.  It was a blast!  Definitely a memorable birthday.

2 comments:

Gpa Paul said...

Owwwww. I did not know. Sorry. Sounds like rewards came anyway

The Mid-Cart Parentals said...

Bummer about your ankle, but glad you were able to find time to celebrate!